Monday, March 12, 2012

Crafting

As if planning a birthday party for the girls wasn't enough work for me, we decided to get new furniture (delivered the day before the party) which prompted me to redecorate!  I have been thinking for some time now that my house lacked color.  I was ready to make a bold and trendy statement!  Thanks to pinterest I had plenty of ideas.  I chose the colors turquoise, red, orange and green.  As I started brainstorming, my list of projects kept growing and growing.  I went through several cans of spray paint but was able to repurpose numerous items including our sofa table and end table. 





















Styrofoam balls covered in fabric- super easy!













Spray painted beans- much cheaper than marbles and they match my colors.  The boys came home from school on the day I was out there doing this and I heard them ask Jerry "why is mom painting beans?" To which he replied "don't even ask- you won't understand either!"

This is my favorite pinterest project- this started the whole color scheme

I then used the same background papers to make this to hang on the nearby wall

I thought I was done and then I found this on clearance at Target.  I have loved this for over a year and never purchased it but how could I resist clearance??  And it matches! 
So then I decided standing in the Target clearance aisle that I would take my color scheme from the entryway which is where it all began with the picture display through the living room and into the kitchen.  Our house is all open so it flows very nicely.  I then found these for the kitchen wall

I spray painted all my pottery on top of cabinets to match the new colors and bought two cute plates at Target on clearance to match to display on top of the cabinets as well.  I really want a globe to complete my display on top of the cabinets but I haven't found one that works yet.  It can only be 13" tall so I will have to keep looking.  I had one last wall space to fill in the kitchen.  I have been wanting a family rules subway art.  I hadn't decided if I wanted to make one or buy one.  Unfortunately many that I liked cost over $100 and that was not in the budget.  Then I found this..............I was in love.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!  It says everything I wanted our family rules to say. And it came in red.  And it was a perfect fit for the wall space I needed to fill.  So I bought the print off etsy and found a great deal on this frame at Michaels for $15.  Jerry says its loud and obnoxious but I love it!  It was the perfect finishing touch.
And the best part is- I was able to get it all done before I had a houseful of guests for the girls' birthday party.  I may have been making felt flowers for the wreath at 1am on Sunday morning (and got a giant burn on my finger- stupid hot glue!) but it was done!  And I LOVE how it all came together.  I was able to make a huge difference without spending a fortune.  All this color makes me happy!

2 comments:

  1. I love all the color you added, Melissa! So much fun! Your photo wall turned out GREAT! I love all the colors and I love that you included all the cousins. Way to go, crafty lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, I love it! Way to go by repurposing. So creative! Darrelyn

    ReplyDelete